Love your leggings
A guide on how to care for your favourite RHIND leggings.
Models wear our Bike Shorties - Black and Baseline Full Length Leggings - Khaki
Who doesn't love a sweaty workout to make you feel like you’ve worked extra hard for that glass of Marlborough Sav on a Friday arvo. However, no one loves a sweaty, smelly pair of leggings. At RHIND we want to help you get the most out of your activewear, so we've compiled a couple of tips and tricks on the best ways to care for your leggings to make sure they live the life you deserve.
Brit wears our Baseline Full Length Leggings - Khaki
First things first, we know how easy it is to whip off those leggings and leave them piled up in the washing basket. But this is actually harmful to the integrity of your beloved leggings. Ideally you should wash your leggings straight after every workout to reduce the buildup of bacteria within the fibres. However lifes not always ideal and for some (me!) this is not always practical. We suggest that once removing your leggings you hang them over a chair, a towel rail, or a husband and let them air dry before tossing them in the washing basket.
Now that we’ve cleared that up here’s the basics. Always check the care label in the waistband of your leggings before washing. Leggings like to stay cool so wash them in cold water and always on a gentle cycle. Washing in hot water is a big no no for these bad boys as this can lead to shrinkage and also damages the luxurious, buttery soft fabric our leggings are made from. In regards to the wash cycle, excessive shaking can damage active fabrics and shorten the lifespan of your garments and we don’t want that.
Once your leggings are all fresh and clean let them air dry to give them the best lease on life. As we know life doesn’t always go to plan so if you absolutely have to put them in the dryer choose the lowest possible temperature to avoid damaging the fibres in the fabric (and again this is only for emergencies, we do not recommend doing this often!).
Our leggings are already so damn soft and buttery that they most definitely do not need any fabric softeners. Using fabric softeners on moisture wicking fabrics can affect the garment's ability to quickly move moisture to the fabrics surface, meaning it won’t dry as quickly when you’re working out. We also recommend using a mild detergent to reduce chemicals being used on our luxury leggings fabric.
Brit wears our Baseline Full Length Leggings - Black and Shauna wears our Baseline 7/8 leggings - Khaki
We all love a sneaky life hack so here’s some secret tips and tricks from our team to you:
- Wash your leggings inside out. The majority of dirt and bacteria build up comes from the fabric touching your skin. Turning your leggings inside out means that the dirtiest areas of your leggings are most exposed to the water and detergent.
- If you feel like your leggings might need something a little extra to get that hardcore workout out, give them a soak. Mix 1 Part distilled white vinegar with 4 parts cold water and leave your leggings to soak for 15-30 minutes. Rinse with cold water and pop them in the washing machine.
- To ensure you get the ideal outcome when washing your leggings try washing them in small loads with other similar garments.
- Wash bright coloured leggings, or other activewear for that matter, with like colours.
- Try not to wash your leggings with hoodies or anything that sheds fluff as this can cause the stitching on your leggings to bobble.
- If you do accidentally use fabric softener on your leggings run them through another cold gentle wash and they should bounce back to being their great moisture-wicking selves.
The team at RHIND are very aware of the impact our industry can have on our environment, so we are trying to do our bit and reduce our contribution to landfills. By washing your garments correctly you are increasing the lifespan of your RHIND pieces. This means that you won't be replacing your activewear willy nilly as our activewear, when cared for correctly, is made to last. Not only does this benefit mother nature it benefits you too. So here’s to long lasting, good quality NZ made and loved leggings!
Jump over to Instagram @RHIND__ for more NZ Made exclusive activewear.